Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Is Radio Shack A Good Source for Hard to Find Batteries...???

  1. #1
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I just saw a Television Commercial for Radio Shack. They claim to have thousands of batteries, including hard to find batteries.

    Anyone ever try them for replacement batteries for Super-8 cameras. Especially those old mercury batteries that are no longer made?

    Is Radio Shack strictly a U.S. company, or are they all over the world?

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Very perceptive Dr. Watson!

    I was specifically thinking of your Technicolor camera after I saw the Radio Shack commercial...Radio Shack seems pretty confident they have all kinds of exotic batteries.

    I say it's worth a shot to check them out, I'd give them a gentle but hard time if they can't help you, remind them of their terrific battery commercial that claims they have thousands of batteries, (or was it hundreds :eek [img]smile.gif[/img] including rare and hard to find batteries.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I went to Radio Shack and they were able to get me the alkaline replacement for my 30 year old Yashica 35mm camera's Mercury meter cell. Since at least stateside Mercury cells are verboten I doubt they'll get any direct replacements for these cells. They took less than a week to get the battery.

    These folks are good too:

    http://www.photobattery.com/

    I've used them a couple of times, and have always been pleased. (They were the last outfit to have the real mercury PX-13 cell)

    Here are ideas for exact voltage replacements for the PX-13:

    http://www.photobattery.com/zincair.html

    http://www.criscam.com/mr9.htm

    I've also heard that if you have a friend in Europe or Canada (or pretty much anywhere else than the USA) it is legal for them to buy these cells and mail them to you in the US. I am not sure if mercury cells are still available overseas at this point, though.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I wonder if this means I won't be able to get a battery for my Technicolor super 8 for the light meter..what is that, a mercury battery? I bet they don't make those anymore..sounds about as safe as lead in paint and gasoline! Mike

  5. #5
    Inactive Member notrub225's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2002
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How do I know what batteries I need?? I have a Canon 814 Super-8 camera, and i think it needs 2 1.33 v batteries, but how do i know what model they are supposed to be or whatever???

    Also, is it really necessary to have those small batteries?? does it just mean that the automatic light meter wont work? can i still wing it manually even though the indicator doesnt work?

  6. #6
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What Camera Guy said.

    Mike Ray, If you take out the 1.33v battery and bring it in to Radio Shack so they can visually inspect it, this forum would love to know how they handle the situation.

    I hope you keep us updated on what you did, and what scenario worked out for you.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For correct voltage you need 2 1.35v batteries. Even in manual mode you need power for the lightmeter. You can use PX625 1.5v batteries and use manual control of the aperture with no problem. The extra voltage will slightly affect the meter in auto mode.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member notrub225's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2002
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ok, I took my Canon 814 camera in and showed the guy where the batterries were supposed to go. He still wasn't sure which batteries I needed, but then I showed him the model number you gave me (PX625) and his eyes lit up. He said they they usually keep some in stock but a guy just bought all five of them so he wouldn't have any for another week or so. According to him, they automatically get a handfull of these batteries every few weeks. There is a Radioshack part number for these batteries; I don't have the number on me but I will post it later. In conclusion, since the Radioshack I went to didn't have the batteries, I am just goign to go to another Radioshack since I am sure most Radioshack's have this battery I am lookign for.

    If only it had the exact voltage...

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 24, 2002 10:29 AM: Message edited by: mike ray ]</font>

  9. #9
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the update!

    If you have the camera manual, bring that in, perhaps it lists battery specifications and/or voltage specifications that can help them find the most suitable battery option for you.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 24, 2002 10:36 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  10. #10
    Inactive Member notrub225's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2002
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    omg look at this site i found

    px625.com

    It sells actual mercury cells. And they are the correct voltage. It appears that they ship to the united states too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •